Day Three

Day three, and I'm in Jaipur. This is the first time I've taken out my keyboard and tablet to post something. It feels like a bit of effort, but I think it's worthwhile.

I'm thinking of shootin B roll as I carry on through this trip so I can edit it at a later stage. If I shoot interviews and record music it should be good once it gets to the editing stage. Plus I could think about doing some kind of travel writing or broadcasting at some point down the line. It gives me something to do, anyway.

Day three and this trip is fun. I took the bus from Delhi yesterday and am staying at a great value hotel called the Kalyan. I'm drinking a papaya smoothie which I guess has the local water in it. Oh well if I'm going to get Dehi belly then now's the time. I had yoghurt last night and nothing happened. I guess I'm pushing my luck...

I've booked a bunch of hotels from here to Mumbai, but I feel it's kinda constricted my freedom to a certain extent. I now feel committed to Mumbai by a certain time, but I think I want to spend a couple of days in Jaisalmer. I think there might be quite a bit to explore. Then I have days in U....pur (forget the name) and I have to get down to Agra for the Taj Mahal. And I don't want to rush. So although I have a fantastic deal on the Mumbai hotel at $88 for four days, I think I'll cancel it and move it to a later date, if at all. Yesterday I had such a sense of freedom having left the hotel, I felt like the world was my oyster to be completely spontaneous. I like that feeling a lot.

In fact that's often been the essence of freedom for me. The significant moments of real joy in my life have been around that sense of freedom and spontaneity. My very first trip alone, which was hitchhiking from my home in London and ending up three months away in France was like that. I simply followed my nose, didnt commit to anything, and was completely spontaneous. I think everyone needs to do that at some point in their lives, or perhaps make it a regular thing. I do realize how lucky I am in comparison with some people who seem to be so committed to stuff that they can't just up and go. Since I've never been very materialistic (at least to the extent of getting in debt for stuff) I'm able to be free. I can't understand why someone would get in debt for a fancy car. It makes no sense to me. There is nothing like the freedom of traveling, even on a budget.

Today I'm going to see if I can rent a motorcycle so I can fulfill this bucket list item and get on with the rest of the trip. It is dependent on weather, having said that, since I don't want to ride in the rain. I can always put it off until Mumbai or Goa, since motorcycles can be rented all over India, it seems. This are, Rajasthan, does seem like the perfect place to ride a bike, though. And the road to Jaisalper and down to Agra seems like an adventure.

And dammit - I forgot to bring up my wireless mouse. Not sure I can click SAVE on this page! LOL! The horrors of modern technology. Here I am half way around the world, and I'm posting to a blog I made in the USA. And I'm complaining...

I did my first Indian bath this morning, filling the water into a bucket and then splashing a large cup of water from the bucket all over myself. I guess each to their own, culturally. Give me a shower any day of the week, though...

Now I need to find out how to post photos on this thing without it taking me an entire day. Ideally I'll get into a habit with this stuff, so it'll be second nature.

Comments

Popular Posts